The Watertown Historical Society
22 Deforest Street, Watertown, CT
The Watertown Historical Society was organized in 1945, with the objective of collecting local history.
Through the years members have researched aspects of the area, our schools, industries, and families. Settled in 1701, known as Wooster-Westbury and finally Watertown, our community has certainly grown. Documents and artifacts collected mandated storage, and in 1968 the Fire District generously donated the second floor of its building at 22 Deforest Street as a museum site.
Volunteers from various town organizations produced exhibits, and volunteers still maintain the museum. An ever growing collection of treasures is available for free public viewing, depicting the town's expansion in all districts, including Oakville, Guernseytown, Winnemaug, Linkfield, etc.
For those who have never visited the museum we urge you to look into our mementos. Our members have visited local schools and clubs, describing town history, endeavoring to interest citizens in the Society's work. We would be happy to accommodate any other groups seeking further information in this way.
Meetings are held on the 3rd Thursday of each month, from September to December and March to June, at 7:30 P.M. in the museum. Generally guest speakers address us, broadening our knowledge and keeping us abreast of current issues.
The primary goal of the Society has always been to preserve Watertown history. We try to respond to all queries - from around the corner and around the country. Besides manuscripts, books, and artifacts we have microfilms of the entire Town Times. We also have a fine selection of Connecticut state and local histories, and a wide genealogy area.
The Society is anxious to enlarge membership and active participation. Since its inception many new residents have moved into Watertown, many of our young people have grown up, and the town has increased in population.
Back To Home Page